I have a new love affair with roasted red peppers. I don’t know why, but these days I cannot get enough of them! They are amazing on pizza, bruschetta, in salads, hummus and soups. Roasted red peppers are my new go-to topping so I decided to learn how to roast red peppers myself and WOW… I will never buy jarred again! It’s so easy, inexpensive AND DELICIOUS to simply make them yourself! Read on to see the four easy steps so you can learn how to roast red peppers too.
STEP ONE: Cut tops of red peppers and get out all of the seeds. Then quarter the pepper and lay, skin side up, on a foil lined cookie sheet.
STEP TWO: Place oven rack about 6 inches away from broiler coil and turn the broiler on high. Put your cookie sheet under broiler and broil for about 10-15 minutes (watch carefully so they don’t get over done!). When they are nice and charred, remove from oven.
STEP THREE: Using tongs, place still hot roasted red peppers into a ziplock bag and seal. Allow peppers to steam in bag for at least 30 minutes. Remove them when they are cool enough to handle.
STEP FOUR: After steaming, the peels should come right off! You can then slice them up, store them in an airtight container in the fridge (for about a week) or freeze them for up to 6 months. Add a little olive oil first if you decide to store them.
And that is how you make delicious, homemade roasted red peppers! Make a bunch at a time to have on hand when you need to add a little pizzazz to your dish!
HOW TO ROAST RED PEPPERS
Easy Homemade Roasted Red Peppers
- Red Peppers
- Cut top of red peppers and remove seeds.
- Quarter the red pepper and place skin side up on foil lined cookie sheet.
- Place cookie sheet about 6 inches below broiler and broil on high for about 10-15 minutes (watch close!)
- When nice and charred, remove from oven and place roasted red peppers in a ziplock bag.
- Allow to steam in bag for at least 30 minutes
- When cool enough to handle, remove from ziplock bag and easily peel skins off.