How to keep Christmas greenery fresh and beautiful for longer!
Everyone knows that fresh Christmas greenery is beautiful, smells amazing and classes up the Christmas decor. The reason people shy away from it is that it dies too quickly and becomes a fire hazard! Not to mention, it becomes a complete mess as it dries out and crumbles with even the slightest touch.
My local Costco sells gorgeous cedar garland each year. It’s about $16 for 25 feet of pure Christmas garland heaven. I’ve always been afraid of getting it, however, because of all the reasons above. How terrible it would be to get this garland, arrange it all “just so” only to have it die and whither away before Christmas even arrived!
Well, I did some research and figured out how to make it last! You can see my Christmas mantel where I incorporated this beautiful Christmas garland HERE.
And now, for the big secret to keeping your Christmas greenery fresh!
HOW TO KEEP CHRISTMAS GREENERY FRESH FOR WEEKS
- Bring greenery home and soak in bathtub for at least 24 hours. This allows it to soak up as much moisture as possible.
- Drain tub and allow greenery to dry to the touch.
- Spread greenery out on garage floor (or similar space).
- Spray all over (at various angles, front and back for good coverage) with (affiliate) WILT PRUF spray.
- Allow to dry for 3-4 hours.
- Bring inside and decorate!!
- Spray greenery with a spray bottle every 2-3 days.
Yes, it does take a little bit of prep work and up keep but it is TOTALLY. WORTH. IT. There is nothing like fresh greenery during the holidays! Now that I know this little trick I will definitely be incorporating more and more fresh greenery into my Christmas decor in the future. And BONUS… then you don’t have to store it all year long!
Let me know if you have any other tips and tricks in the comments below!