Hello! Our bunch of 10 bloggers are so happy to be back here on the 10th of the month, sharing with you 10 brand new ideas. This month we’ve turned our thoughts to the kiddos, since we’re missing the endless family time that summer brings. Our chosen theme is JUST FOR KIDS… 10 great ideas, all about kids. I’m talking, recipes, crafts, and all-around great ways to bring the family together.
After you check out my JUST FOR KIDS contribution, be sure to check out (and pin!) the posts from my fellow blog friends. Have so much fun!
1. After School 1-2-3 ~ Thirty Handmade Days
2. Baby Closet Dividers ~ Two Twenty One
3. DIY Harry Potter Wall Art ~ Landeelu
4. Halloween Happy Mail – Eighteen 25
5. Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Mug Cake ~ Or so she says…
6. Make Ahead Muffins – Kids Can Cook! ~ Your Homebased Mom
7. Chevron Perler Bead Necklaces ~ The Crafted Sparrow
8. Craft Stick Dolls ~ Simply Kierste
9. DIY Rocket Bird Feeder ~ Lolly Jane
10. Duct Tape Pumpkin Decoration ~ Capturing Joy
DIY HARRY POTTER WALL ART
If you follow me on Instagram then you may have seen a photo (below) I posted a little while ago showing some of the artwork I’ve been collecting for my son’s room. To say he has “nerdy” interests would be an understatement. He is a classic nerd and proud of it! I love it to, actually. Having to do TWO sports room would be so boring. For him I got to search Etsy for everything from Dr. Who to Harry Potter to The Beatles. And I found some amazing art!
I have been wanting to make a wall hanging for his room to break up all of the frames & add some softness but I wasn’t sure what I wanted on it. Then I saw a t-shirt online that said “Study like Granger. Eat like Weasley. Live like Potter.” Bingo! I didn’t love the “Eat like Weasley” sentiment so I did “Protect like Weasley” instead. Coming up with something for Ron was harder than I thought! He was a bit of a whiney, insecure, moody one, wasn’t he? But he was a loyal friend, for sure. And he’d do anything for his friends and put himself in danger for them many times. And I didn’t want “BE LOYAL” because that doesn’t go with the other two lines, you know? So yeah, protect it is! My son liked it and that’s all that matters. (**Side note: I asked my 30-something girl friends via text what I could put for Ron… I’ll list their responses at the end of the post… they are hilarious.) I also want to point out that even though this is under a post for our 10 for 10 round up under the theme “Just for Kids” I am WELL AWARE that Harry Potter knows no limits as far as age goes. EVERYONE loves Harry. Everyone. So feel free to make one for anyone of any age, mmkay? K.
If you would like to make one too (and who wouldn’t!), here is what you need!
- canvas material (whatever size you’d like your sign to be, taking into account the pockets at each end that you will sew for the wood dowels)
- wood dowels
- craft paint
- Stencil (I made mine with my vinyl cutting machine. Fonts are Bebas Neue and Veneer Extras for the lightening bolt if you want to recreate it exactly. You can use a Silhouette or Cricut. You can also purchase the stencil from my Etsy shop HERE or I’ll make you one completely which you can buy HERE!)
- twine, for hanging
STEP ONE: Apply transfer tape over stencil, remove backing from vinyl and then apply it to canvas material. Burnish it down and then carefully remove transfer tape from vinyl making sure vinyl remains stuck to canvas.
STEP FIVE: Sew 1″ pocket at each end and insert wood dowel. Hang with twine!
And here’s how it looks above his bed…. I’m in love! It really turned out better than I was expecting. Love it when that happens!
**As promised here are some of the suggestions my friends gave… they didn’t mind branching out into other characters. 🙂
- Grow Red Hair like Weasley
- Whine like Weasley
- Blush Furiously like Weasley
- Make Awkward Faces like Weasley
- Something about living frugally?
- Survive like Weasley
- Suffer like Weasley
- Weasley is our King
- Space off like Luna
- Slick Your Hair Back like Malfoy
- Go Through Puberty Like Longbottom
- Be a Bully like Crabbe
- Work for Free like House Elves
- Snivel like Snape
- Write a book like Rowling and make a butt load of money
- Do your Chores like Dobby
- Clever like Dumbledore
- Grow Big and Tall like Hagrid
- Smirk Like Malfoy
- Frost like Peeta
- Be Katniss….
…and that’s where we REALLY got off topic on the group text. And then one suggested that at the bottom I should put “if you don’t you’ll be like Voldy.” <— that was actually quite wise but I just couldn’t fit it, design wise, you know. 🙂
Now go check out (and PIN!) all of the other awesome “Just for Kids” projects in this month’s round up! So many cute ideas!