If you’re looking for an easy but AMAZING accent wall idea this is what you’ve been searching for!
I recently did a little makeover on my master bedroom (what a difference!) and one of the things I wanted to do was make the wall behind my bed an accent wall of some sort. Nothing crazy, but I did want it to stand out a bit there behind my headboard.
DIY Accent Wall Idea
I contemplated all kinds of options…. shiplap, wallpaper, a different color, etc. Shiplap seemed like a lot of work (#lazy) and how long will that trend last? Wallpaper also seemed like a lot of work, messy and a pain to change out later. Painting that wall a different color would have been easy enough but I am not totally digging that trend as much as I used to.
Then I remembered my friend Mandi doing something with a gold sharpie paint pen so I looked on her blog and it was exactly what I wanted! Her DIY Gold Sharpie Wall is truly genius and I couldn’t wait to try it for my new master bedroom.
I didn’t even want to try to “make it my own” by messing with the measurements or anything because I loved it so much just the way she did it. She has a nice graphic showing the spacing on her blog and some tips if you want to go check it out.
Basic Instructions for this Gold Sharpie Accent Wall Idea
(This post may contain affiliate links)
- Gather up a gold Sharpie Paint Pen (water-based so you can paint over it later without any issues) and a level.
- Using your level, pencil on your horizontal lines 18″ apart.
- Go back and go over lines (still using a straight edge, of course) with the gold sharpie paint pen.
- Starting at top line (for me this was the edge where my wall met the ceiling), make a small pencil mark 6″ from wall.
- Then on the second line down, make a small pencil mark 12″ from the wall.
- Third line down, make a mark 6″ from wall.
- Continue going back and forth between 6″ and 12″ until you’ve reached the bottom.
- Next, go along each line horizontally and mark 12″ from the previous mark. This creates the diamond shape.
- Now simply go back and use a straight edge to connect the marks using your sharpie paint pen!
Here’s a quick video showing the whole process… it really only took me about 2 hours once I was at the sharpie-ing stage!
It’s the perfect touch I was looking for to my master bedroom makeover! Thank goodness for genius people with genius ideas. You really need to try this accent wall idea out, you will love it! Modern, stylish, subtle and perfect.
You can see all of the details about the rest of our master bedroom makeover here.