This is the classic black bean soup recipe you’ve been looking for! Simple ingredients. Hearty and filling. I make this a couple of times a month and everyone gobbles it up!
The beautiful thing about this meal is how quickly it comes together. There is very little prep and it only needs to simmer for 15 minutes and then it’s done! Get your rice cooking early and you’ll have a delicious, healthy and hearty meal on the table in no time.
Classic Black Bean Soup and Rice
The classic black bean soup recipe you’ve been looking for! A half bowl of soup and a half bowl of rice is the ultimate comfort food.
- 2 cans seasoned black beans (drained but not rinsed)
- 1 can vegetable broth (or chicken broth if you prefer)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 T. olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/4 tsp. cumin
- Rice (your favorite kind)
- In a large sauce pan, saute onions and garlic in olive oil until tender.
- Add chili powder and cumin and stir.
- Add remaining ingredients and let simmer for 15 minutes.
- Use immersion blender to blend some of the beans and leaves some of the beans whole. OR put half of soup in blender and blend then return to pot.
- To serve place a cup of rice in bowl and our in the soup.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro and shredded cheese, if desired.
Happy black bean soup making! 🙂
OTHER POSTS YOU WILL LOVE!
- Cilantro Lime Chicken Recipe: Crockpot or Freezer Meal
- 20 Best Soup Recipes: Homemade
- Crockpot Soup Recipes Perfect for Fall!
- Creamy Tomato Soup
- Quick and Easy Instant Pot Soup Recipes