Make this easy Cilantro Lime Chicken Recipe and serve it up it three different ways! Perfect for a freezer meal too!
Hello! Lindsay and Alycia here, from Leesh and Lu’s. Today we are sharing a favorite meal–Cilantro Lime Chicken. It is both a freezer meal and a crock pot meal–so, double win!! With the holidays quickly approaching and life getting more chaotic, these types of meals are what prevent us from eating pancakes or getting take-out every night!
We like to serve this one of 3 ways–it’s delicious over hot cooked rice (with cheese and sour cream!), as a “dip” to scoop up on tortilla chips, or wrapped up in warm corn or flour tortillas. Although I haven’t tried it, I suspect that along with some rice and cheese, it would also make a great filling for burritos.
If you don’t cook with chipotles regularly, you can find them in the Hispanic food section near the salsa at your typical grocery store. The recipe calls for 2-4 chiles (depeding on their size and your heat preference). Since a can has lots more than that, we like to freeze the rest in small freezer bags for future use.
Cilantro Lime Chicken
Besides chopping up an onion and the cilantro, it’s pretty much a dump and go kind of meal and the possibilities are endless as to how to serve it! Give it a try and let us know how you decide to serve it!
Cilantro Lime Chicken
- 6 chicken breasts
- 3 Tbs olive oil
- 2 limes (juiced)
- 1 bunch cilantro (finely chopped)
- 6 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2-4 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (finely chopped)
- 15 oz bag of frozen corn (can be less depending on preference)
- 1 finely chopped red onion
- 2 cans of black beans (rinsed)
- 2 t cumin
- 2 t chipotle powder
- salt/pepper to taste
- *1/2 c water or chicken broth to freezer bags or slow cooker before cooking.
- Spray slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray and prepare 2 gallon sized freezer bags.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients except chicken and water, stir. Divide evenly between slow cooker and freezer bags. Add 2 chicken breasts to slow cooker and season with salt and pepper. Add 2 chicken breasts to each bag. Add 1/2 cup water to each bag before freezing.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours. At end of cooking time, shred chicken with 2 forks. Serve with warm tortillas, rice or corn chips. Top with sour cream, guacamole, and/or cheese.
When using the frozen meals, move them from the freezer to fridge the day before slow cooking them.
BLOG | FACEBOOK | PINTEREST (LEESH) | PINTEREST (LU) | INSTAGRAM
I just wanted to let everyone know that this recipe is really good and really easy. I love that I can throw it in the crock pot in the morning and can come home from school and/or work that day to a yummy, healthy meal. I love to put this in tortillas for tacos, or eat it over rice or as a burrito. Thanks so much! This one’s a keeper!
How can I decrease the spiciness of this dish to make it more kid friendly?