This Cashew Chicken Recipe is perfect for a “no oven” summer meal! A definite crowd pleaser too! Have it ready in 30 minutes flat!
Cashew Chicken Recipe – A 30 Minute No Oven Meal!
Warm weather is upon us and we are always on the look out for quick and easy meals that don’t require the oven and won’t heat up our houses! We tried this one and it’s definitely a keeper!
Cashew Chicken Recipe – Such A Great Summer Meal!
Tender chicken pieces, crisp veggies, and crunchy cashews marry in a heavenly sauce that will leave your mouth watering! Serve it over rice–jasmine and basmati are favorites of ours with this dish– and you can have dinner on the table in 30 minutes flat. Win!
We loved these flavors together and all of the components were familiar to our kids and they gobbled it right up, too. Give it a try and let us know what you think!
- 2 pounds chicken breast cut into bite size pieces
- ⅓ cup cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 ½ cups broccoli cut into bite size pieces
- 1 rib celery sliced
- ¼ yellow or sweet onion sliced
- 1 bell pepper orange, red, yellow, cubed
- ¾-1 cup dry roasted cashews
For the sauce
- 1 lemon juiced
- ½ tablespoon cornstarch
- ½ cup chicken broth
- ½ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- ½ teaspoon to 1 tablespoon Sambal Oelek chili paste pick your spiciness level
- Cut chicken into bite size pieces - place ⅓ cup cornstarch in a gallon size ziplock bag - shake around to coat chicken evenly with the cornstarch.
- Cut up veggies and set aside.
- Add the oil to a wok or 12 inch deep skillet, heat over medium-high heat til oil is rippling. Add chicken and stir to brown evenly on all sides, 3-5 minutes. It won’t be cooked through at this point. Clear a space in the middle of the pan and add ½ tablespoon of oil if dry - add the garlic and ginger and cook for 1 minute or until tender and fragrant, stirring frequently.
- Add the chopped veggies and cashews to the pan and cook for about 3 minutes; stirring occasionally.
- While the veggies are cooking, start on the sauce. In a medium size bowl combine the lemon juice, ½ tablespoon cornstarch chicken broth, soy sauce, brown sugar, rice vinegar and chili paste. Add any salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the sauce to the chicken and veggies and simmer until the veggies have reached the desired tenderness and sauce is as thick as you’d like. Drizzle with 1-2 teaspoons sesame oil if desired and stir to incorporate.
- Serve over hot jasmine rice. Garnish with green onion slices if desired.