The perfect big, soft and chewy snickerdoodle cookie recipe ever! Here we go…
Have you been searching for the perfect snickerdoodle recipe? You know the kind… they are big and soft and chewy and pretty much the perfect cookie texture? If so, your search is over!! These are the snickerdoodles you want to make, eat and promptly distribute to those you love… trust me on this one!
Side note: have you ever wondered to yourself “Why is there cream of tartar in snickerdoodles?” I certainly have before. I mean, it seems kind of random, doesn’t it? Well apparently it’s the cream of tartar that separates snickerdoodles from just being a sugar cookie rolled in cinnamon and sugar. It gives it that bit of tang and also makes it chewy (because it reacts with the sugar in some magical way). Who knew, right?
Anyway, this snickerdoodle recipe is best if you make the cookies extra big but you can make them normal size as well. You just need to adjust the cooking time a little (take off a minute or so if you are making the smaller ones) because you DO NOT want to overcook these babies. Slightly undercooked is always my go-to cookie baking practice. ENJOY!
Big and Chewy Snickerdoodle Recipe
Big and Chewy Snickerdoodles
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup butter room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Cream butter and 2 cups sugar until fluffy. Add eggs, milk and vanilla. Mix well.
- In separate bowl, mix flour, cream of tartar and baking soda together.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix well.
- In a small bowl mix 3 tablespoons sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon.
- Form dough into 2 inch balls and roll in cinnamon and sugar mixture.
- Place on greased cookie sheet and slightly flatten with bottom of glass.
- Bake at 375 degrees for about 9 minutes (don't overbake!).
- Allow to cool on cookie sheet for 1-2 minutes and then remove and completely cool on wire rack.
You might also enjoy these cookie recipes:
(This post may contain affiliate links. See my full disclosure here.)
By the way… as a seasoned veteran of the cookie making game, I have definitely decided on a few favorite items that I use pretty much every time I pull out the ingredients to make cookies! I’ve compiled a list below with links to each item … do you have any favorites that I missed?
- Kitchenaid Mixer: The one should come as no surprise! And if you can get it in aqua, all the better! I can’t remember the last time I made cookies without it!
- Measuring Cups & Spoons: I love this set because of the odd cup and spoon sizes… 3/4 Cup? Yes! No more measuring 1/4 three times or worse, dirtying a 1/2 cup and a 1/4 cup!
- Spatula: Of course you need a spatula to get those cookies off the cookie sheet! I love this metal one with the slots to make it all that much easier to transfer.
- Silpat Baking Mat: No more need to “grease” a cookie sheet! Just lay this baby down on your cookie sheet and away you go. Nothing will stick to this.
- Cookie Scoop: What did I do before I had a cookie scoop? The easy way to get uniform cookies! I looooove my cookie scoop. I wish I were over-exaggerating my love here but I’m not.
- Cookie sheet: I love these heavy duty Nordic Ware ones! Mine have been perfectly “seasoned” over the years and they just seem to get better and better!
- Rubber/Silicone Spatulas: How else will you lick the bowl clean? This is a must-have tool to scrape down the sides of that bowl.
Happy Snickerdoodle Making!
** PIN IMAGE BELOW TO KEEP THIS YUMMY SNICKERDOODLE COOKIE RECIPE FOR LATER! **