The beautiful thing about this meal is how quickly it comes together. There is very little prep and it only needs to simmer for 15 minutes and then it’s done! Get your rice cooking early and you’ll have a delicious, healthy and hearty meal on the table in no time.
- 2 cans seasoned black beans (drained but not rinsed)
- 1 can vegetable broth (or chicken broth if you prefer)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 T. olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/4 tsp. cumin
- Rice, your favorite kind
- In a large sauce pan, saute onions and garlic in olive oil until tender.
- Add chili powder and cumin and stir.
- Add remaining ingredients and let simmer for 15 minutes.
- Use immersion blender to blend some of the beans and leaves some of the beans whole. OR put half of soup in blender and blend then return to pot.
- To serve place a cup of rice in bowl and our in the soup.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro and shredded cheese, if desired.
Happy black bean soup making! 🙂
Join Landee's Newsletter!
Keep up on all the latest tips, recipes and more straight in your inbox!