Whole Grain Blender Pancakes are the best way to start your day off with 100% whole grain! We are declaring them the official back to school breakfast since they come with a built in wake up call–a loud blender! Start with the whole grain of your choice–that’s right–the whole, whole grain.
We have tried 3 different grains with great results–wheat, kamut, and even steel cut oats or oat groats. The oat option can be gluten-free if you use GF oats. No need to have a wheat grinder and no need to bother buying whole wheat flour. Just throw the wheat berries (or kamut berries, or oats) in the blender with the milk and blend until smooth. Add in the other few ingredients and you’ll have fluffy, delicious, whole grain pancakes in 5 minutes + cooking time.
These have been a favorite at both of our houses for years and we hope you will enjoy them as well!
- 1 cup + 1 tablespoon wheat berries/kernels OR 1 cup + 2 tablespoons kamut berries OR 1 1/4 cups steel cut oats or oat groats
- 1 cup buttermilk*
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- Combine your choice of grain and buttermilk in blender. Blend for 3 minutes*. Add some of the milk if necessary to keep things moving. Add milk and continue to blend for 2 minutes until texture is completely smooth. Add all ingredients except baking powder and pulse until mixed well. Add baking powder and pulse until evenly incorporated. Cook on a hot griddle.
- *buttermilk - I don't always keep buttermilk on hand, but usually substitute 1 tablespoon of lemon juice or vinegar with 1 cup minus 1 tablespoon of milk and allow it to sit for 3-5 minutes until thickened. Another popular substitute would be equal parts of milk and plain yogurt.
- *A note about blenders: If using a blendtec, vitamix or other very powerful blender, you will need to reduce the 2 separate blending times to about one minute each. If over mixed the batter will begin to heat and form almost a dough rather than a batter.
Try some of our other breakfast favorites:
Join Landee's Newsletter!
Keep up on all the latest tips, recipes and more straight in your inbox!