I spent this past weekend pulling out all of my Christmas stuff and am finally ready to share my Christmas Mantel for this year! I went cleaner and simpler than I ever have before and I must say, I love it.
My big project for this year’s mantel was my chalkboard tree art. I had seen this idea in the latest Matthew Mead Holiday magazine which is chock full of so many fabulous ideas. They had an old piece of slate that they used to create a chalk pine tree. Well, I didn’t just have an old piece of slate laying around so I had to figure out how to make this work.
Here’s how I did it:
1) Had Home Depot cut down a piece of MDF for me to about 24×30.
2) Painted the board red using craft paint.
3) Sanded edges of board using a heavy grit sand paper.
4) Using DecoArt’s Chalkboard Coating (which I found at Hobby Lobby), I turned it into a freaking chalkboard! Miracle!
5) Had a fun time pretending I was an artist and drawing my tree using chalk as my medium/muse (and trying to copy Matthew’s as closely as possible, of course). I love it as my focal point.
I then added my stockings, some ornaments in my glass vases, and the fun reindeer head that refused to stay on the shelf at Target and practically jumped into my cart! What could I do?
I’m definitely in the festive mood now! Are you all feeling it? Not to stress you out but there are only 20 more days until Christmas.