Pumpkin Crunch

My friend (Ann of Cupcake Tasting Party fame) casually mentioned this recipe she had seen on her SIL’s Facebook as we sat at our daughters’ dance class.

Pumpkin Crunch, you say?

My ears perked up and my back straightened slightly.  There may have even been a raising of the eyebrow, not sure.  Sounded delicious.  Just from the title.  So I quickly copied it down in my handy-dandy Family Organizer and went about my business.  ”My business” being heading straight to the grocery store to get the ingredients for this and then going home and making it.

It’s a fancy (and EASY) twist on the ole fall favorite, pumpkin pie.  I’m not a huge fan of pumpkin pie myself.  I’d much rather have some banana cream pie.  But this, THIS, my friends, will be added to the Thanksgiving feast.  And will probably be made weekly from about mid-September to the end of November.  It’s my new “Fall Is Officially Here” treat.

PUMPKIN CRUNCH
1 15oz. can pumpkin
1 12oz. can evaporated milk
1 1/2 C. sugar
3 eggs
1 1/2 t. cinnamon
Combine above ingredients and pour into greased 9×13 pan.
1 Yellow Cake Mix
1 C. melted butter
Sprinkle cake mix on top of pumpkin mixture and pour melted butter over top.
Bake at 350 for 1 hour and 10 minutes.

This is what it will look like fresh out of the oven.

Your house will smell amazing and the second you taste it you will realize, fall is officially here.

Visit thecsiproject.comLink parties I participate in: Tip Junkie, Sugar Bee, Not Just a Housewife, Someday Crafts, Tatertots & Jello, I Heart Naptime, Lolly Jane, Be Different Act Normal, Craftomaniac, Today’s Creative Blog, Somewhat Simple, Flamingo Toes, Skip To My Lou, Thrifty Decor Chick

Comments

1. Lisa Couch says

Oooohh my goooodness, that looks amazing! I have a feeling that my kiddos and I will make that over their Fall break as my 7-year old has a pumpkin obsession… yeah, that’s why we’ll make it, for him… Hehehe! Thanks for sharing! :-)

• Kelly says

I just made this and it is delicious! Will be making it again, and again! Do I need to refrigerate it? Not there they will be much left over. So yummy, thanks for posting!

YUM! I make a blueberry pie/cobblerish dessert like this – blueberries mixed with some sugar and cooked just a little, then dumped in a pan, cake mix, butter, delish, easy, just add ice cream, or maybe keep it pure.

I have this recipe and it’s definitely my fave every fall. I’m always excited when September rolls around because I have an excuse to start making it.

Also, congrats on the YHL mention today. That’s some big leagues right there!

Okay, this is VERY good and gooey! Next time, I’ll mix the cake mix and butter together first. Caused a little bit of a burn on where the butter ran off. Of course, I was silly and used margarine instead of real butter. Thanks for sharing this!

I’m so pinning this!! It looks awesome!! Thanks so much for the inspiration! I hopped over from Show and Tell Saturdays – I’m your newest follower! Hope you have a great weekend!
    Jade C. @ Effie’s Recipe Box

I cannot wait to give this a try. I have all the ingredients on hand. I may surprise my family with this for breakfast. It is breakfast right? LOL.

I made the Pumpkin Crunch this past Sunday. Your comment “I’m not a huge fan of pumpkin pie myself. I’d much rather have some banana cream pie. But this, THIS, my friends, will be added to the Thanksgiving feast.” sold me on it.

We had friends over to watch football and they all loved it, including my finicky hubby. He complimented it several times, said he could smell it as he was pulling in the driveway, couldn’t wait to taste it and said it was a keeper. =)

I was hesitant to try it since I am new to your blog. However, this was a superb start and will definitely try another one of your recommendations.

THANK YOU!!!
    Miriam

Definately going to try this recipe too…Love your blog and ideas (a new follower). Thanks ~ Sue M. in California

I made this today and it was even better than I anticipated! So yummy! Thanks for sharing! I’m keeping this one and it is on the menu for Thanksgiving instead of pumpkin pie.
    Jen

• Dwight M Lee says

Nicole – do you HAVE to spam/scam that $100 giveaway scam!!!! Whay dont you crawl back into your dumpster and stay off the web?!

• Dwight M Lee says

SORRY, I APOLOGIZE, I TAKE IT BACK – I MISTOOK YOU FOR A SERIAL SPAMMER I KNOW OF AND SEE ALL THE TIME – AGAIN I AM SORRY AND I TAKE IT BACK…

I make a very similar pie every year! The only difference is I add pecans to the top with the cake mix and butter. Then when cooled, I flip it so the crunch is on the bottom and frost it with homemade cream cheese frosting :)

Just so you know, I had to look this up to make it AGAIN! It was the first pumpkin fall recipe that came to my mind this year because it was so good last year! I am going to do it again with the chocolate mix on top but I will try it the regular way too this year – YOU ARE THE BEST! (Happy to know Landeelu!)

I’ll make this no doubt. It looks and sounds delicious.

One thing I probably will add.(like anonymous)… some pecan halves on top.

Maybe Fall has fell, after all.

I just finished baking this… Smells and tastes delicious! I’m taking this as one of my desserts to our church’s sausage supper. Thanks!!!

Do I just sprinkle the cake mix over top or do I make the cake batter according to the directions and then pour over top? Thanks! I’m makIng this today!:)

Is it the pumpkin pie or the puree pumpkin can that you use? I didn’t know there was a difference until I tried a different recipe and got the wrong can of pumpkin.

i have the same question do you just sprinkle the cake mix on top or make it according to the box? and should I make this thanksgiving morning instead of tonight????

Hi, I was wondering if you bake this covered or uncovered? I’ve made it several times, and it’s delicious, but the top get quite brown by the time it’s done. It doesn’t ruin the taste, but it doesn’t look quite as pretty as yours does in the pictures. -Elaine

Question about the ingredients
    1 1/2 C. sugar
    1 1/2 t. cinnamon
    does this mean 1and 1/2 Cup Sugar and 1 and 1/2 T Cinnamon ? If not then the “1″ doesn’t need to be listed in the measurements except when indicating the number of cans of the x ounces.

• Michelle says

I discovered fresh pumpkin a few years back and now use it whenever a recipe calls for pumpkin, fresh or canned. I harvest in the fall, bake in the microwave or oven, puree, and store in the freezer in 2 cup measurements. (Can be used all year). I found that whenever I use fresh pumpkin in place of canned, the cooking time is extended, and is dependent on what is cooking. It’s something I have to play with to get it right, but the end result is so worth it. If this cake recipe needs to be cooked longer, cover the top during the last 10-15 minutes so it won’t scorch.

21. Amy says

Okay. Perfect I stuck it in the oven and its starting to get the way it looks in the picture. I put the yellow cake, and lighy butter is it normal for the butter not to cover the whole cake?

22. Ronnie Applewhite says

A friend of mine posted this on Facebook, and I quickly realized that I already had everything I needed to make this. That NEVER happens to me. Every time I see a recipe online that I really want to try, it needs something like a Madagascar vanilla bean, or unbleached rice flour, or eye of newt, or some other thing that I don’t have. So, I jumped up immediately and made it tonight, even though it was already 9:30 at night. It is unbelievable. And by that, I mean when you first see it there in the pan before it goes in the oven, you truly will not believe that it will turn into something that looks edible. But OMG what a lovely aroma and wonderful taste. This year my entire family (siblings, parents, aunts, uncles, nieces and nephews) will be together for Thanksgiving for the first time in about 7 years. I will be surprising them with this!!

23. meag says

I NEVER comment on blogs but I wanted to come and tell you that ever since you posted this and we tried it a few years back it has been a family favorite of ours! We take it to all of our parties in the Fall and we just absolutely love it. It’s the best pumpkin dessert I’ve ever tasted!…and it MuSt have vanilla ice cream with it. You’re blog is so fun and I trust all the recipes you’ve posted simply because this one is so. dang. good.

24. Jackie says

I want to make this Pumpkin Crunch for guests this week. Just want to be sure I have the correct measurement for the butter. Is it 1 cup melted or 1 cup of butter melted (that would be 2 sticks). Don’t want to ruin this with too much or too little. Thanks.

25. Heather says

Hi there! I’m making this for Thanksgiving this year and was wondering if I can bake it the night before and then re-heat the next day? If so, how is it best to re-heat? Can’t wait to make this! Thanks!!

1. […] 15oz. can pumpkin 12oz. can evaporated milk 1/2 C. sugar 3 eggs 1/2 t. cinnamon 1 Yellow Cake Mix 1 Cup melted butter Combine pumpkin, evap. milk, sugar and eggs. Once combined, pour into greased 9×13 pan. Sprinkle dry cake mix on top of pumpkin mixture and pour melted butter over top. Bake at 350 for 1 hour and 10 minutes. *Notes - I was concerned while I was making with because the cake mix can be clumpy if you sprinkle it right out of the box. Don’t worry about that because the cake mix gives it the crunch and it blends well with the pumpkin mix. This dessert is great when served hot or cold but only OK when you serve it at room temperature. I recommend serving it warm after dinner (or before, I’m wont judge you) and refrigerating what’s left… if there’s any left. Original Recipe: http://www.landeeseelandeedo.com/2011/10/pumpkin-crunch.html […]