Pretty Pumpkins

I really wanted to call this “Glamorous Gourds” but when I googled “Are pumpkins gourds?” the answer was no….they are a “gourd-like squash.”  So then I considered “Sparkly Squash” but there’s something about the word “squash” that wasn’t quite doing it for me.  So…. Pretty Pumpkins it is!!  It’s the best I could do.  Sorry.

Anyway, as I began changing the color scheme of my living room last year from the reds, golds, and greens to the aquas, yellows and leaf greens I realized I was going to have a problem when it came to my fall decor.  It was no longer sympatico, if you knowwhati’msayin.    So I got some white and neutral pumpkins and that was fine…. for last year.

This year I wanted to punch things up a little.  I wanted to add some color in with my neutral pumpkins.  And maybe a little glitz while I was at it.  Why not?  Here’s what I decided to do…

I got a $5 pumpkin from WalCrap.

I saw this stuff.  Wha?  I’d never seen it before.  I love the glitter look but glitter and I don’t get along well.  It gets in…. places.  But Extreme Glitter paint sounds like just what the doctor ordered!
I removed the ugly-ish stem:
And soon realized that the glitter paint was probably not for “full coverage” type of painting:
So I painted my pumpkin with some blue craft paint I had
and then painted OVER that with the glitter paint.
Oooooh… pretty!  Pretty Pumpkin even. :)
Then I took some of these decorative “holiday picks” that I had used last year and cut them apart.
I then stuck them down in the hole where I had ripped out the stem.  So much better.
I did the same thing to another pumpkin painting it green first and using a different holiday pick.
I gave a quick coat of just the glitter over some white pumpkins and my coffee table was all set!
I gotta say, I’m a fan of that glitter paint (as if you couldn’t tell).  The perfect amount of glitz for my little pumpkins!

PS If you live in Utah and are interested in coming to a fun craft night, go HERE for all the details!!

Link parties I participate in: Tip Junkie, Sugar Bee, Not Just a Housewife, Someday Crafts, Tatertots & Jello, I Heart Naptime, Lolly Jane, Be Different Act Normal, Craftomaniac, Today’s Creative Blog, Somewhat Simple, Flamingo Toes, Skip To My Lou, Thrifty Decor Chick

Comments

I am blown away by these pumpkins. For real these are absolutely gorgeous! And it so funny that I too want to make my house a certain color scheme and worry about holiday decorating too. Love what you came up with…opens a gazillion possibilities.

I have those pumpkins from Walmart (bought them for $1 on clearance last Dec and now they have the exact same again this year!). I LOVE what you did with them! Love that color! thanks for sharing! I’ll feature these tomorrow!
    Jen
    Scissors & Spatulas

I love your pumpkins!! I am a NEW reader – and I’ve literally just spent the last hour scouring your blog! I know you borrow some of these ideas, but you implement them like no other!! Beautiful job!!

I LOVE your colors!! so pretty:)
    I am a sucker for anything glitter too…have you tried the new krylon glitter blast spray paint? I am dying too, but can’t find it anywhere up in canada yet!

Just when I thought you couldn’t make anything cuter you go and do something like this…and totally redeem yourself – I mean totally outdo yourself! Love it!

I LOVE these! I love to use turquoise with fall, I think it is just a beautiful color combination! I think my house is going to be overloaded with pumpkins because I keep finding these beautiful things to try! Thanks for sharing :o)

If you look at my post from tonight you’ll see why I love your blue pumpkins! I got the same ones at WM and painted them turquoise and white with craft paint…great minds think alike (and all that – LOL)!

Judy

8. Libby says

I loved these so much, I painted some for myself last night! I also had a black one and painted the turquoise glitter paint over it – gorgeous! Now to add the picks and maybe some velvet ribbon! THANKs for the wonderful inspiration!

Oooooo, I love this. I live in the middle of the desert and have a coastal theme to my house. I’ve been trying to figure out how to do a coastal Halloween. Thank you.

I’m in love with turquoise pumpkins! These are so cool. I have to make some for my decor… Great idea…

Jeanna @ dramaqueenseams.blogspot.com