Vinyl Canister Labels

I’ve been on a bit of a labeling kick lately.  I think it’s the Back-to-School-y feel in the air that makes me want to organize the heck out of everything in sight.   That or I’m addicted to using my Silhouette machine and like to make up projects which require me to use it.  Either way, things are whipping into shape around here!

So, I was making some cookies recently and I opened up my “baking cabinet” (I say that all fancy-like but really it’s just my lazy susan corner cabinet) and I wanted to cry.  Not tears of joy, mind you.  Tears of “how does one live like this?”   It was a dis. as. ter.  Certifiable.   Three or four half used bags of flour and sugar all rolled down at the top and piled on top of each other.  Spilled chocolate chips every where coming from opened and half empty bags.  A sprinkling of salt or sugar (hard to tell which without a taste test and no, I wasn’t going to taste it) all over one of the shelves.    Gross.

I stopped right there and just started pulling everything out.  I should have gotten a before picture but this was one of those projects you’re halfway into before you even realize what you’re doing.  So I didn’t.  Sorry.

Now, because I don’t keep my canisters on my counter, I didn’t feel the need to spend a small fortune on nice glass ones with the cute silver tops.  BUT I did want them to be cute.  Because cute makes me happy and happy is the goal.

I went to WalCrap and picked up two sets of these for about $6 each.

I then opened up the design studio for the Silhouette and got to work.  I chose a shape from the “artisan shapes set” as my main label.
Now, the part I wanted to share is that the original shape did not have the cute little circles at the top and bottom.  It was just solid.  It seemed a little plain to me so I just added a period and increased its size until I got the look I was going for.    I’m always amazed at how the pre-made shapes can be manipulated and customized to what you want.  You don’t have to settle, you guys! :)
So, I loaded in the vinyl and hit “CUT.”
My happiness went up considerably as I set these all up for this photo, by the way.
They now look adorable all snug in their cupboard.
I know not many people will ever even see these in here, but I will…. all the time.  And isn’t that what matters?
source
These canister labels are for sale in my Etsy shop!  Totally customizable to what you need.  See listing here!

Link parties I participate in: Tip Junkie, Sugar Bee, Not Just a Housewife, Someday Crafts, Tatertots & Jello, I Heart Naptime, Lolly Jane, Be Different Act Normal, Craftomaniac, Today’s Creative Blog, Somewhat Simple, Flamingo Toes, Skip To My Lou, Thrifty Decor Chick

Comments

I love it!! I’ve seen these types of labels all over but I just love yours. I also love that you added those circles at the top! You’ve definitely inspired me to finally make some labels for mine! BTW, I have that quote at the bottom in my craft space! I just love it!

Do you know if a Cricut can do the same thing as the Silhouette, I’ve never seen the Silhouette (I know, you feel sorry for me).

I do believe the Cricut can do the same thing, but only if you have the right cartridges for the shapes you want. The “artisian shapes” were downloaded with my Silhouette software. But, if you do have the shapes you want, I think the Cricut can cut vinyl!

(heavy sigh)….I wish I had a Silhouette. Or a Cricut. Then I could have cute things and be happy, too. (hehe) Love what you’ve done and I really would like to have one! Thanks for sharing, it gives me more reasons to ‘need one!

You are now doing things in your house that I just can’t ever get my brain to figure out. No vision where organization is concerned. And I am beginning to think that I need a silhouette. BTW, when you run out of things to fix up…come on over. I’ll buy you all the rt44 ddps you want.

I TOTALLY just bought these EXACT canisters yesterday with the same thing in mind. When I saw this I actually laughed out loud because I loved them so much. I am going to figure out what I want mine to say and email you. LOVE IT!!!! You just saved me a step:)

7. christina miles says

I just received my new Cameo today and I already have a silly question…I am about to make some labels for my pantry canisters. When I downloaded the label but it is grouped with a few others. I only want to use one specific shape. How do I get the one label without having to cut the others out as well? thanks for any help

I have a cricut and it definitely cuts vinyl. I bought “Make the Cut” software while it was still available to cricut users, so I don’t use cartridges. I have to figure out how to do this one day because they are perfection! I never thought about cutting out the letters. Most people use a chalk pen, which is fine if you love your handwriting. I would rather do it like you did.

I bought 2 sets of these same exact canisters today! I was thrilled to see how you did yours so I could have ideas how to do mine. I think I am going to end up getting another set though lol Now off to Etsy to order your labels!! :)

I would love to know how these canisters are holding up for you since you’ve used them for a while now? I want to re-organize our pantry with containers, and need to do it inexpensively. Thanks in advance! ~Shannon :)

I am a newbie on the Silhouette. I LOVE your labels. Would you be willing to share what cut settings you use? I tried making some, and the vinyl got mangled. I am also having difficulty choosing a font which cuts cleanly. Any help you can provide would be very much appreciated! -Jamie