Mexican Hot Cocoa Cupcakes

Let’s continue on with the cupcake recipes from the Cupcake Tasting, shall we?  Today I bring you the most interesting of cupcakes served that night.  Hidden Dulce de Leche?  Chile Kissed Cream?  Yes and yes.  This was such a fun one to try and people were DYING over it.  Lots of oohing and ahhing.  Printable recipe card at the end, as usual.
Mexican Hot Cocoa with Hidden Dulce De Leche and Chile Kissed Cream

¾ c sugar
¾ c brown sugar
2 eggs
½ c oil
½ c milk
½ tsp powder
1/8 tsp soda
¼ tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla
½ c dutch cocoa
1 ¼ c flour
1 cup dulce de leche
(I made mine by boiling a can of sweetened condensed milk for 3 hours)
Combine sugar, brown sugar, eggs, oil and milk.  Beat together until well combined.  Add the baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and vanilla, stirring well until incorporated into the batter.  Slowly beat in the cocoa and flour just until mixed into the batter.  Bake 350 17-19 minutes.  Let cool in pan for 5 minutes and then move to a rack to cool.  When cool, remove a bit of the middle of each cupcake.  Fill each cupcake with dulce de leche and top with Spicy Whipped Cream.  Sprinkle with chopped chocolate, and red chili flakes if desired.
Spicy Whipped Cream

1 ½ c heavy whipping cream
½ c brown sugar (very fresh and soft is best, to avoid sugar granules)
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
¼ tsp semi sweet chocolate chips, chopped
1 tsp red chili flakes
In a large bowl, beat the cream until soft peaks form.  Slowly add the brown sugar, mixing until the cream is thick enough to pipe on top of cupcakes.  Stir in the cayenne.

Link parties I participate in: Tip Junkie, Sugar Bee, Not Just a Housewife, Someday Crafts, Tatertots & Jello, I Heart Naptime, Lolly Jane, Be Different Act Normal, Craftomaniac, Today’s Creative Blog, Sister’s Stuff, Flamingo Toes, Skip To My Lou

Comments

1. Jesseca says

Yay! These are the ones I wanted to try!! Well, these and the grapefruit! Thanks for sharing! and tell your friend her cupcakes look amazing!

2. Jennifer says

I came across your blog on Tater Tots and Jello! I’m a new follower and fb fan! I can’t wait to make these cupcakes…I love all of the hidden ingredients! YUM!

I’m hosting a link party…”Fusion Fridays” {Open All Weekend!}

I would love it if you would come by today and link up!

3. StandsMom says

Your commentary and personal opinion on these? I, personally, loved them. They have a very nice cinnamon flavor. The dulce de Leche was to die for. The cream? A very happy and exciting surprise! I was apprehensive. Worried about the brown sugar and the cayenne. But it was fantastic!!!! I highly recommend. :)

4. Stephanie C. says

Landee–I am so thrilled to have found your blog—Love the light,crisp look of your page–and I am “gaga” over cupcakes. Right now I am on vacay in Virginia Beach and I have scouted out one cupcake store (just cupcakes) and one traveling cupcake truck (twisted sisters )so you know what I’ll be up to. This recipe sounds yummy and when I return home ,I’m gonna give it a shot. Keep up the great work—Is your real name Landee? (I love it!!!!!)

5. hilljean says

I hope its ok with you…I’m drooling so bad over here I’m sharing it on my blog. I’m putting a couple of links to you in there so maybe you’ll get some more of my followers! THis looks absolutely “to DIE for!” As my mother in law always says ;)

6. StandsMom says

I’m making these again today for my husband’s poker friends – I can’t wait to taste all of that cinnamon, cocoa and caramel — dashed with a hint of cayenne. Yum!!!

7. Bunny says

I want to make these for a sorority luncheon. Do you really only use 1/4 teaspoon of chocolate in the topping? Have you ever used pastry pride instead of the whipping cream? Thank you for the posting.

• Landee Anderson says

The 1/4 tsp of chopped chocolate chips is only for garnishing the cupcakes. You can chop and garnish with as much as you’d like though! Never used pastry pride before but if it’s yummy I’m sure it will be fine! :) Thanks for stopping by!