Easter Egg BLING!

This could also have been called “Not Your Mother’s Easter Eggs.”  Nothing against YOUR mom, of course.  You know what I mean.
I was in the grocery store and saw Family Fun magazine’s Easy Crafts for Kids.  I thumbed through it for a minute and saw that they had a little section on different ways to decorate Easter eggs with your kids. You know… put rubberbands around them before dying them,  roll them across bubble wrap which has a layer of craft paint on it, etc.   One of the suggestions was to do this:
Put glue dots all over the egg and then douse in glitter.  It looked adorable!  And it got me thinking (p.s. I love my daughter’s chipped fingernail polish and digging-for-rocks-dirt-under-nails look).
I then came home and got cracking on making some spiffier eggs.  Spiffy is my Dad’s favorite word, and for good reason.  Say it out loud.  Spiffy.  SPIFFY.  SPIFFY!!  See?
So I had a TON of those dense styrofoam eggs I had gotten on clearance last year after Easter.
They are cute, traditional and look adorable in glass vases.  I decided I could sacrifice a few to give them new life and make them EGG-stra special (couldn’t resist, sorry).  I’m sure any of these things could be done on actual hard-boiled eggs as well.
To begin with I painted the eggs some bolder/fresher colors.
Sticking the wooden skewer in them was a life saver.    I also spray painted some to see how the shinier look would be.  Both ways worked great.  It all depends on the look you’re going for.   The skewers were also nice for letting them dry.  I figured I’d either cover the holes later or no one would see them when they are nestled down in a basket anyway.  Doing this with hard-boiled eggs is not recommended. :)
When the paint dried, the bling-ing began….
Bling Treatment #1
Metallic Flower
Need: metallic craft paint, wooden skewer, various craft/scrapbook gems (I’m sure you have some in your stash)
Dip the blunt end of your skewer in the paint and dot it on the egg 5 times to form a flower.  With the paint still wet, add a gem to the center.
Repeat until you get the look you want. Different paint and gem colors create totally different looks.
Bling Treatment #2
Metallic Paint Dots
Need: Metallic paint, wooden skewer
Same idea as the flowers but even easier & faster!  Just dip the blunt end of the skewer in the paint to make cute dots all over.
Bling Treatment #3
Simple Vinyl Designs
Need: vinyl designs from Silhouette or other cutting device.
A simple monogram is classy.
Adorable bunny shape.
Although, next time I would probably cut him a little smaller as it was tough smoothing him out around the curve of the egg.  It’s still not totally smooth actually.
One of Silhouette’s borders wrapped around the egg is TDF.
Bling Treatment #4
Vinyl plus Gems!
This was the obvious next step, right?

And after a couple hours of really fun crafting you end up with this!
I love my new spiffy eggs.
Will you be spiffy-fying or is traditional the way to go?  Any other ways to spiffify?  Please share!
Linking Up to:

Comments

I never thought I’d ever say I was jealous of someone’s Easter eggs…but lady, I am seriously wishing I had a bowlful of those lovely eggs on my table! Time for a trip to the craft store, methinks.

I LOVE these eggs! But if they look that cute, I don’t want them on hard boiled eggs that will be cracked and peeled! I think I will be watching for some eggs like yours inexpensive but can keep for a LONG time! Thanks for sharing!

these are WONDERFUL!!! I have been looking for a special egg to make for easter and I think that this is going to have to be it! (and I also totally love your daughters dirt digging nails!!!)

These eggs are SO beautiful! I love the gems and glitter. Can’t wait to try this out with some of the post-Easter sale eggs I purchased last year.

Oh my heck, I NEED those eggs. Absolutely gorgeous. Those are truly stunning. Thank you for sharing such an awesome idea.

Oh, and I had to laugh, every time I have my daughter help me hold something when I take photos, I end up staring at them in Photoshop thinking OMG CHILD YOUR NAILS!!! :)

These eggs are adorable. I just popped over from I {Heart} Nap Time and I already like your blog. I love the inspiration I can get all over the internet too!

Hey girl, your eggs were a hit girl. No wonder, they are amazing. I love the bling, the monogrammed letters, the bunny, pretty much everything. Oh and your choice of colors is so pleasing too. Love it all.

I loved it so much I FEATURED you, I know I’m late letting you know, but I hope it still puts a smile on your face.

Come grab a button girl, and display it proudly!

**Features from week #28** @ Bella Before and After
    Also I would LOVE to invite you to check out my new PINTEREST BOARDS let me know what you think!!
    Thanks girl :)

Hugs,
    Bella —- your HAPPY newest follower, because hello, I want to copy you too, lol. Love ya!!

A pеrѕon οf the finest mеаns tο make additionаl money
    is by еstablishing your individuаl business enterprise.
    When sitting down in their landfills, theу arе еxposed to the rоugh weather, trіggering them to erode, ωhich qualіfied prospects to
    a chemісal lеak. Lots of
    health speсialists hаve a tendency to ‘generalize’ throughout-the-boаrd when they discuѕs about some οf the ovеr catеgorіes anԁ how they have an
    іmpact on οur well being.

Here is mу blog post: http://www.contractlawyerslaw.com
    Also visit my webpage No-Hassle Secrets In Toasters – An Intro

I just thought I’d let you know this DIY has been featured on my 2013 Easter Pinterest Picks on my blog glitter-bug-blog.blogspot.com.au

Hope this is okay, love the idea!